Name tag church
We'll keep looking and sharing with you on our church search. Last week was somewhat uninspiring. I think sharing about it is more fun than looking. Is the "looking" part supposed to fun?
Anyway, we went to a new (read: small) church. It's very cool to see the people together and working so hard to grow a church. They were excited, but not stalker-excited to have us there. We were instructed to fill out a name tag and wear it the whole time. No problem.
It was kind of nice, actually. Maybe it was the name tags, maybe it was coincidence, but I didn't see any little light bulbs go on when we were introduced as "Tim & Faith". I know we bear a striking resemblance to Tim McGraw and Faith Hill--but just not in the minds of these people. phew! Some folks get a little bit crazy about that non-existent connection.
I don't have anything nice to say about the pastor or his message, so I won't say too much. He introduced himself to us after the service. I coulda just read his name tag, but we had to shake on it. His only question for us was whether or not we belonged to a bible-believing church "back home". For some reason I was slightly offended by the question. Trying to keep the smart-mouthing to a minimum, I just said, with a nice smile, "Well, we've never been to any other kind of church."
Name tag church HI: Most people (all 7 of them) were very nice, friendly, welcoming, and genuine.
Name tag church LO: We won't be seeing their congregation grow.
Thursday, July 23, 2009
The search continues
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Ugh I hate looking for a church. It doesn't help that Joe keeps getting phone calls at all hours (aka 'o dark thirty) because some stupid soldier decided to get a DUI. It makes getting up in time for church hard some mornings.
my grandfather and wife go here, http://www.kirkwoodpres.org/
don't know anything beyond that, so not much help
Touche! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your response to the pastor. I could see how you would feel "off" with that kind of question. Seriously. What a way to get into doctrine without even gauging the situation. Unreal.
I've never thought of the whole "Tim and Faith" connection, but part of that could stem from the fact that I'm not a country fan.
But I know exactly what you mean. Imagine my ecstatic reaction when not one single person (save one patient) made a comment about my name (Hilary). ESPECIALLY in DC! I got it ALL THE TIME in Prescott. Minds just don't work the same way out here and I am eternally grateful!
As far as church searching...I don't think it is supposed to be fun. It wasn't for us, either. We finally found a place to call "home" about a year after moving here. Don't get discouraged! With so many churches out there, it's hard to find where God wants you to be.
Keep looking. We'll be praying!
Post a Comment