"Job hunting is a full time job." Yeah, yeah, that's nice- except for the part where you don't get paid! Whoever said that probably didn't have a good paying job to begin with. Regardless, during my "full time job hunting job", I've been trying to keep myself occupied and productive.
That way, when Tim gets off work and asks what I did during the day, I have answers! Lucky for him, he asks in a sincere, gracious, non-condescending manner. He also encourages the various (unfinished) projects.
Here's what I tell him. Sometimes, he gets pictures, too. Here are some of the productive things I've been doing:
Unpacking
When I was breaking down the boxes, I found this letter. It says, "Mr. Packer: Flap tabs hold top flaps down at the side of the box. This makes it easy to pack."
Oh- got it. It's like a little riddle. I think I would like that job please. Not only do you get to crumple up paper, but you can read a nice, helpful, illustrated note in the process.
Oh- got it. It's like a little riddle. I think I would like that job please. Not only do you get to crumple up paper, but you can read a nice, helpful, illustrated note in the process.
Cooking
We had our own little "eating out marathon" during the process of leaving Fairbanks, driving down, setting up house. As a result, we're off the junk food, namely sugar. We decided on the trip down to quit sugar (it's like crack) together as soon as we had the kitchen set up. The goal is to do this for the remainder of the summer. Unfortunately for me, this includes Diet Coke. I'm okay with it though, really, I'm OK. I tell myself that a lot. "Faith, you are OK. You don't need Diet Coke." Anyway, I'm trying to be resourceful in the kitchen and avoid most processed sugary stuff. I haven't baked cookies in forever, and I love Crystal Light!
I think you should try this. (Seriously) I think I learned about it during my first summer job after high school.
Here's how it goes. Make some regular ole' pancakes. Any kind will do - just pick your favorite. I really like this "Honey Multigrain" variety by Archer Farms, available at Target.
Serve two pancakes with a slice of American cheese in the middle, and some butter and shredded cheese on top. Mmm. It's like a grilled cheese sandwich--only instead of bread, use pancakes. Different, yes, but we like it! I would not recommend syrup for these.
I think you should try this. (Seriously) I think I learned about it during my first summer job after high school.
Here's how it goes. Make some regular ole' pancakes. Any kind will do - just pick your favorite. I really like this "Honey Multigrain" variety by Archer Farms, available at Target.
Serve two pancakes with a slice of American cheese in the middle, and some butter and shredded cheese on top. Mmm. It's like a grilled cheese sandwich--only instead of bread, use pancakes. Different, yes, but we like it! I would not recommend syrup for these.
Flossing
Lucky for you, no picture will be provided for this. At this age, I just feel my teeth getting worse, so I'm not taking any chances. I never miss an opportunity to floss. If possible, I watch the The Today Show from 7-9ish, then Ellen at 1, and Oprah at 4. These are all prime flossing opportunities. On the days I take Tim to work, flossing is a great way to pass the time during the commute. That is one whole hour every day that I can multitask. Also, I think I'm in for Root Canal #3 (on the same tooth)! Surely it's not too late to floss the heck out of that quadrant of my mouth, and therefore prevent another RC.
...And, that's about it. I unpack, cook, floss, and watch the news. Usually in that order.
There's also folding and stacking my tank tops in rainbow order, spending time on my Google Reader, ironing sheets, and brewing Iced Tea. I'm very busy these days with my, uh, Pro Bono research job, and all the other tasks that come with being a stay-at-home-something-or-other. I found out that I really like rice milk, I have been treating a wicked spider bite, and the peeling skin from a "minor" sunburn. Reading, and selling books on Amazon and going for walks. Long ones. On the beach. I've been applying, interviewing, and waiting--lots of waiting.
My mom asked if I'm lonely here. How could I be? We are but one apartment in a building of 10. That's 9 other families....well, actually, one of the families is "not from around here", so there's more like 3 generations in one apartment...So, really, that's at least a dozen other families that I could be sharing my pancake sandwiches with.
After seeing too many pictures like the one below, I think we need friends here to take the occasional picture of us.

...And, that's about it. I unpack, cook, floss, and watch the news. Usually in that order.
There's also folding and stacking my tank tops in rainbow order, spending time on my Google Reader, ironing sheets, and brewing Iced Tea. I'm very busy these days with my, uh, Pro Bono research job, and all the other tasks that come with being a stay-at-home-something-or-other. I found out that I really like rice milk, I have been treating a wicked spider bite, and the peeling skin from a "minor" sunburn. Reading, and selling books on Amazon and going for walks. Long ones. On the beach. I've been applying, interviewing, and waiting--lots of waiting.
My mom asked if I'm lonely here. How could I be? We are but one apartment in a building of 10. That's 9 other families....well, actually, one of the families is "not from around here", so there's more like 3 generations in one apartment...So, really, that's at least a dozen other families that I could be sharing my pancake sandwiches with.
After seeing too many pictures like the one below, I think we need friends here to take the occasional picture of us.



6 comments:
Faith- your life sounds like mine about a year ago! Well, minus the pancake and cheese sandwiches. I was more of the bake-everyday-because-I-was-board-even-though-it-was-100-degrees-with-95%-humidity. I'm still trying to lose the pounds. Nice work giving up sugar. :) When you get really board feel free to make a trek to Iowa...
Faith, you're such a great writer! I loved reading that! Sugar is a tough one to quit. We've been trying to do the same thing. but with all the company we've had lately, we've eaten Milwaukee's Frozen Custard almost every night for the past week. It's a rough life. :)
Gma T has 5 different flavors of ice cream--no sugar lows for me:)
Love you!
By sugar, do you mean all sweeteners - or merely the processed ones? Considering how much I am not allowed to eat, I think I'd go stark raving mad and attack the neighborhood ice cream truck like a raving lunatic if I couldn't have agave or date sugar.
We're definitely not cutting out all sugar. The idea was to cut out 'sweets'. Sweets like the pure and processed sugar and things that taste sweet like Diet Coke. Fruit and Crystal Light, etc. are okay.
Tim's got the willpower of a horse, and will last a lot longer than I. I'll take any excuse for an exception. Let's just say, Tim doesn't eat sweets, and I don't eat them by myself or when it's just the two of us.
I'm with Hilary- it's different when there's company involved!
Hope- you've got to try those pancake sandwiches--maybe with some apricot jam!
Hey JujU bEE I just have to say that you do some good writing. Is a journalist or reporter of some kind in the works for Job Entanglements? I like how you think! I think it even inspires me to lighten up a bit. Now that's intriguing huh. love CAM
Post a Comment