Sunday, June 14, 2009

Lions, and, Giraffes, and Elephants! Oh my!

Unpacking is boring. The St. Louis Zoo, however, is not! Admission is free, and apparently on some Saturdays so is parking. 1 mile away.

Cute lion, in a tree. Cute, because there was a nice, big fence between us!


Precious little giraffe family.

The zoo was awesome. Walking around in the hot sunshine was pretty enjoyable too. We've been missing Harriett, so the zoo was nice, and for whatever reason, the video below reminded us of her. It was pretty cute.




A story where I crack myself up, by Faith:
I was looking pretty close at the alligators, when a kid behind me--like right behind me yells, "Whaaa?!"
Holy crap!! Jerk kids and their pranks. I was pretty sure that was the alligator snapping at me. I grabbed Tim's arm, covered my mouth, and whipped around. The mom was CRACKING UP, and told me that her kid had said, "Where?!" (special accents down here)
Apparently, he wasn't trying to scare me, he just didn't see the alligators that I was so incredibly close to.
I muttered something like, "Oh, I thought he growled at me...I mean, rawrrr, err...um. I mean, but not a growl, just, uh. Nevermind."
So I left.

About that unpacking...Nearly all dishes and other fragile things arrived in tact. That is until I started putting them away, and immediately dropped a glass in the sink, where it shattered into the garbage disposal! Grind up some glass. THAT, my friend, is worse than nails on a chalkboard. I didn't think there was anything worse than that. It might be bad for the appliance as well. Dang! I was just starting to enjoy that thing.

Another reason to miss Harriett: either I have gotten really clumsy, or I counted on her for a lot of kitchen clean up. While cooking, I've been dropping food, and waiting for someone to come running for snack time/clean-up duty.
I should probably get a broom.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Faith!!! Are you looking for a writing job? You ought to! Fabulous!!! I am so glad you went to the zoo--I think Harriet and the elephant have the same number of wrinkles... and the alligator boy...hmmm all I can say is do you remember you as a kid at the Washington DC zoo? Let's just say you wore me and Snid out!
love, yermom

HEnglebretson said...

Yeah, I understand about missing having a dog around. We had to give away our beautiful yellow lab when Katie Lynn was born. He needed more exercise and attention than we could give him - so keeping him wasn't fair to him. Anyway, I think about him every time I drop food on the ground...and then grumble when I have to pick it up because there's no canine vacuum around!

Rebecca said...

Unpacking is so boring! I'm dying and my house is a mess. I'm trying to figure out how to coordinate my being motivated with the kid being content in his swing. So far no luck.

Hope said...

Yippee to zoos!

Ashleigh said...

Love this post. Looking forward to your next one, haven't seen one from you this week. How did your interviews go????
Love you-Ash