Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Centipede from H-E-"Double-Hockey-Stick"

I (this is Faith) was up at 2:00 on Saturday night/Sunday morning and thought I was the only one up, but no such luck! I discovered the ugliest, nastiest looking critter that I've ever seen (indoors, that is). This thing was so ugly, in fact, that I thought it warranted a middle of the night wake-up for Tim. Certainly the thing wouldn't have been nearly as gross and scary if it was 2:00 in the afternoon, right?!
"Tim! WAKE UP! There's a mili-centi-mega-pede in the bathroom. I'm tough and would do it, but I think he's poisonous...and...ewww!" He didn't really agree with my decision for an after-midnight wake up...UNTIL HE SAW IT!
"Yeah, that is ugly." He's so calm, it's amazing. I mean, I'm calm, too. Yup. Totally calm. I'm tough, I can handle killing some bugs, some spiders, and stuff. But this one was nasty, and he was here, so I why do it myself?
Being the helpful little wife, I ran to the kitchen, grabbed a bottle of Clorox counter top spray and said, "Here! Try this!". I thought he could poison the ugliness right out of it, or suffocate it with bleach or something.
Gosh, we are so different with our problem solving/bug killing skills!! He grabbed the bottle and smashed that critter into the ...nevermind. It was gross, and there was lots of smashing. Sick. (But not as sick as running over a cat).
Huh. I didn't think of doing it that way.
I took a pic for the super, who agreed, that it was NASTY, and did in fact, warrant an apartment-wide spray down. Phew! Thankfully, it's not poisonous though. The really special, powerful bug killer/sprayer man comes on Friday. For two days, I was walking around, with shoes, with my toes curled up like my feet had been bound.
If you're dying to see the thing, do a google image search on "house centipede". Then, plan to sleep with one eye open.
Sweet dreams!

4 comments:

Hilary said...

UGH!!! I've seen one of these before in our apartment in PRescott.....YUCK, indeed!

But before you decide this is the grossest big you've seen, do a Google image search on "jerusalem cricket". We found one of those outside (thank GOODNESS) our front door one night. YIPE!

Glad you survived! I especially loved the part about your diffence in ideas of how to kill it. Priceless...

Hope said...

All I have to say is "ick"!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I googled it and now my feet are up on my chair. Anything that feeds on cockroaches (which they apparently do) just freaks me out. Granted, I don't like roaches either, but these things are...ugh...I think a chill just ran up my spine!!!

---Heather

Nancy said...

The legs on that centipede are enough to give you nightmares! I guess you're too far "North" to have geckos in your bathroom. We had 2 baby ones a few weeks ago (which makes you wonder how many are in a litter of geckos!). It's illegal in Texas to kill them because they do no harm and eat a lot of bugs (at least that's what our pest guy told us). So...you have to catch them (almost impossible with your hands) and transfer them to a happier home outside. That's what Tupperware containers are for!