Sunday, June 20, 2010

Tim vistis Deutschland

I (Tim) had an amazing opportunity to go on a work trip to Germany this past week. This trip was my first trip "across the pond" to Europe. I flew into Frankfurt and then drove down to beautiful Garmisch. From Garmisch, I drove to Munich where I flew back to the the US. The trip allowed me to see a good amount of Germany by car. On of the biggest highlights was driving on the autobahn, which has no speed limit on most of it.

In the US they sell the Mercedes C class and and E class cars as mid size and full size cars. Well... I got to drive an A class Mercedes in Germany. This is the smallest class Mercedes and is just bigger than a go-kart. I had the gas pedal smashed against the floor board and the fastest I could get it up to was 190km/hr ~ 118mph going down a big hill. Now I know some of you are thinking, well Tim, that's pretty fast, except I was driving among Porches and Lamborghinis that routinely go over 225mph. Like most guys, I don't think you can ever have too much horse power. I only wish I had a car with more ponies under the hood. I do have to say even though I was driving a go kart, it was nice driving on the autobahn and the drivers in Germany know how to drive. The autobahn and I are a great fit for each other. I loved it and think that is what driving should be: FUN!



While over in Germany, I went to a different Guesthouse each night to try out the local cuisine. A guesthouse is a little hole in the wall family owned and operated restaurant/ bar that holds 20 or so people and the family usually lives upstairs. Those kinds of places normally have the best local food. The food was great, and the portions were huge. Normally I can eat like the best of them ( i know you are all nodding), but I could hardly put a dent in some of the dishes that I was served. Most of them would have been perfect for two people, with plenty for leftovers. The locals and the coworker, just laughed at me for not being able to finish my food.

One the the nice parts of going to a guesthouse is that you get to walk around and explore on foot parts of quaint little villages.


A lot of the building have murals painted on them.

While in Garmisch its was really rough and I suffered a lot as you can tell by the view from the hotel.
and to top it off, this is the view out my hotel room


It was so beautiful staying at the beginning of the Alps just 20km from Austria, and Switzerland. (I hear your sympathy violins playing now.)

In short it was a great work trip and I love Germany. It is a beautiful country and has a lot of culture and history that i find interesting. The people were amazing and were great hosts. I recommend Germany to all.

0 comments: