Sunday, January 18, 2009

1st Annual Chili Cook-Off Champs

"WINNER
First Ever
Safety Day
Chili Cook Off
January 16, 2009"

At Tim's work, their monthly safety meetings are held at the lunch hour. This month, they wanted to try something besides pizza, so they decided to hold a chili cook-off.
After a couple practice batches, and eating chili for a week, we found just the right combination.
Out of 18 crock pots, our chili won! I'm the proud owner of a new (engraved!) crock pot! I'm passing along my original one if anybody needs it ;)

This Turkey Chili (serves 6-8) recipe originated from the "Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook", by Dawn Day.
My modifications/additions are in bold:


1 large chopped onion
2-3 TBSP. oil (I used Canola)
1 lb. ground turkey
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. chili powder
3 Tbsp. Burre Burre (yummy Ehthiopian spice that I don't know how to spell...)
6 oz. can tomato paste
3 1-lb. cans small red beans with liquid
1 can sweet white corn


1. Saute onion in oil in skillet until transparent. Add turkey, salt and burre burre and brown lightly in skillet.
2. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Mix well.
3. Cover. Cook on Low 8-9 hours.

Note: Ground beef can be used in place of turkey.


Variation Serve over rice, topped with shredded ch
eddar cheese and sour cream and chopped cilantro.


Enjoy!

1 comments:

Hope said...

Congratulations! Love the prize. I have the "Cook it and Forget it" cookbook, but I haven't tried it yet. I'll have to try it this week. Oh- and Happy Bday to your pup! :)